Identify Theft Crimes

Identity theft happens when someone steals your personal information and uses it without your permission. It is a growing trend and is a serious crime that can cause problems with your finances, credit history, reputation, and employment. It can take time, money and patience to resolve. If your identity is stolen, follow these steps immediately:

  1. Place an Initial Fraud Alert
  2. Order your Credit reports
  3. Create an Identity Theft report

Place a Fraud Alert

Contact one credit reporting company and report that you are a victim of identity theft.

  • Equifax: 1-800-525-6285
  • Experian: 1-888-397-3742
  • TransUnion: 1-800-680-7289

Ask the credit reporting company to put a fraud alert on your credit file.  Placing a fraud alert on your credit file is free and will stay on your credit report for 90 days. You can renew it after 90 days.

Confirm that the company you call will contact the other two credit report companies.

Order Your Credit Reports

After placing an initial fraud alert on your credit file, the credit reporting bureaus will explain your rights and how to get a copy of your credit report. Placing an initial fraud alert entitles you to a free credit report from each of the three reporting companies.

Create Identity Theft Reports

1. Submit a complaint form to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) at www.ftc.gov/complaint. When you finish writing all the details, print a copy of the report. It will print as an Identity Theft Affidavit.

The more information you can provide about the situation, the more useful your complaint will be. If possible, be prepared to provide the following information:

  • Your contact information: name, address, phone number, and email
  • The type of product or service involved
  • Information about the company or seller: business name, address, phone number, website, email address, representative’s name.
  • Details about the transaction: the amount you paid, how you paid, the date.

2. File a Police Report about the identity theft and get a copy of the police report or the report number.

3. Attach your FTC ID Theft affidavit to your police report.

File a Police Report

To report an identity theft crime, you can contact the Trotwood Police Department at (937) 837-7777 or (937) 225-HELP (4357).  You can also go to the Trotwood Police Department or the police department where the fraud occurred to complete an identity theft report.

The Trotwood Police Department is located at:
3035 Olive Road
First Floor
Trotwood, OH  45426

Common Types of Identity Theft:

Tax Fraud

Tax-related identity theft occurs when someone uses your stolen social security number (SSN) to file a tax return claiming a fraudulent refund.  You are likely unaware this has happened until you try to file your income tax return and cannot because someone else has already filed a return under your identity.  You may also receive a letter from the IRS indicating the IRS has received a suspicious income tax return under your social security number. 

If you are a victim of tax-related identity theft and do not have suspect information, a police report is not required. Victims are asked to complete an Identity Theft Affidavit (Form 14039) on the IRS website. Victims should then mail the Identity Theft Affidavit and their income tax return using the most appropriate IRS income tax return forms. For more information regarding this process, visit the IRS website at: www.irs.gov.

If you are a victim of tax-related identity theft, contact the Trotwood Police Department to make a report at (937) 837-7777 or (937) 225-HELP (4357).  

You can also report tax fraud by contacting the Internal Revenue Service Identity Theft Protection Specialized Unit by calling 1-800-908-4490.

For more information on general Identity Theft, visit the IRS website at:  www.irs.gov.

Student Loan Fraud

Victims of student loan fraud can contact the U.S. Department of Education at 1-800-647-8733 or online at:  www.ed.gov.

Misuse of your Social Security Number

If you suspect misuse of your social security number, in addition to the contacting the Trotwood Police Department, you can also contact the Social Security Administration at 1-800-772-1213 or visit your local Social Security Administration Office.   You can also contact the Social Security Administration website:  www.ssa.gov.