How Do I?

FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)

Fire & Rescue FAQ

I would like to have the Fire Department present a safety talk to my church, school or other organization.  Who do I contact?

Please call the Prevention Bureau at 937-854-7254 at least two (2) weeks in advance of your event.  Our availability may be limited by other duties and units will need to remain in service for responses to alarms/emergencies.

How do I schedule a Fire Inspection for my business or foster home?

Contact Trotwood Fire/Rescue Inspection Bureau at 937-854-7258 at least one (1) week in advance.

I would like information about becoming a Trotwood Fire/Rescue member.  How do I apply for a job?

From the homepage, hover over the word "Government", then click on "Fire & Rescue".  On that page, you can then click on "Recruitment" to learn more about job opportunities.  You can also click here to be redirected to the page.

Can my group take a tour of a fire station?

Yes; call the Prevention Bureau at 937-854-7254 at least two (2) weeks in advance of your planned event.  Our availability may be limited by other duties and units will need to remain in service for responses to alarms/emergencies.

If Trotwood Fire & Rescue needed to respond to my house, what is the best way I can ensure they will find me?

When speaking with the 911 dispatchers, give clear directions if your house is not clearly visible from the roadway.  Do not hang up until you are told to do so by the dispatcher.  Also, have your house number clearly visible on the front of your house with a minimum of 3-inch numbers that are illuminated at night.  If you have a roadside mailbox, have your numbers clearly visible on the mailbox.  If possible, have someone flag down the responding units as well.

I noticed that during some small fire incidents, there were two fire engines, a ladder truck, an ambulance, and a Chief officer responding.  Why are there so many?

A fire doubles in size every 14 seconds for the first 5 to 7 minutes.  We respond with a "full alarm assignment" to any event that may lead to a fire in a house, apartment, or structure.  We do this to have all the necessary resources on the scene quickly in the event they are required during the incident.

Where can I receive training on the use of portable fire extinguishers?

Please contact our Prevention Bureau at 937-854-7254 for information and to schedule a demonstration or training event.

I have noticed Trotwood firefighters/paramedics shopping in grocery stores.  Does the City pay for their meals?

No; the City does not pay for the meals of our firefighters/paramedics.  Trotwood firefighters and paramedics work a 24- or 48-hour shift and must prepare their own meals.  The company is "in service" and maintains communications by radio, and will respond to alarms from the grocery store if they are dispatched.

I have noticed that, quite often, a fire engine responds with an ambulance to medical calls.  Why do you do that?

In many instances, the fire engine is closer to the alarm than an ambulance.  Fire engines in the City of Trotwood are staffed with trained personnel who are properly equipped to begin treatment before the ambulance arrives.  We also automatically respond with an engine on those alarms that are serious in nature and may require more staffing than the two medical personnel in an ambulance.

Does the Trotwood Fire Rescue Department solicit funds over the phone or door-to-door?

The Trotwood Fire & Rescue Department is a fully funded city department that operates under a formal budget. Trotwood Fire & Rescue members do not solicit funds from citizens. There have been instances where funds were accepted on behalf of fire victims or special circumstances such as Sept. 11th. Please note that these special funds were/are coordinated through a local banking institution with public notification through the media.

What are the Fire Watch Requirements?

If authorized by the Fire Marshal, a Fire Watch may be temporarily used while a Fire Detection or Protection System is out of service for repairs or alterations. The following are minimum requirements that must be followed before a Fire Watch will be approved. Additional requirements may be ordered by the Fire Marshal as needed. Click here for the full list.

I would like to have a bonfire at my next school, church, or other organization’s event. Who do I contact?

Please contact The Regional Air Pollution Control Agency (RAPCA) at 937-225-4435 to find out about burning regulations.

What is Carbon Monoxide and where does it come from?

Carbon monoxide (CO) is an invisible, odorless, colorless gas that is created when fossil fuels like coal or gasoline burn incompletely. It can be generated in a room heater, furnace, charcoal grill, range, water heater, automobile, or fireplace.

I am a homeowner in Trotwood, may I burn leaves and limbs on my property?

Please contact The Regional Air Pollution Control Agency (RAPCA) at 937-225-4435 to find out about burning regulations.

Parks & Recreation FAQ

Where can I view or download a copy of the Parks & Recreation calendar of events?

Click here to be redirected to the Parks & Recreation page, where you will find the link to the calendar.

How can I rent a park shelter or facility, such as the Pavilion at Madison Park?

Click here to be redirected to the Rental Facilities page, where you can learn more about our parks and facilities.  You can also click here to be redirected to the Permits & Reservations page.

I would like to host an event at a park or city-owned property.  Where do I start?

You may rent one of our park facilities as mentioned in the above question, or you can contact Hope Figgers, Administrative Assistant Public Works, at 937-854-7287 or via email at

I am interested in attending one of the events indicated on the Parks & Recreation calendar.  Can I register online?

Many of our events will include a link where you can register online.  You may also register by contacting Charles Wheeler III, Parks and Recreation Program Coordinator, at 937-854-7228 or via email at

May I volunteer my time, talents, and/or resources to the Parks & Recreation Department?

Yes, we encourage our citizens to volunteer their time for the various events the Parks and Recreation Department holds throughout the year. Contact Charles Wheeler III at 937-854-7228 or to submit your name and area you would like to volunteer in. Citizens may also volunteer for our many Boards and Commissions, including the Parks Board.  Feel free to visit our Boards and Commissions page by clicking here.

How can I receive an email when the Parks & Recreation calendar of events, or the City's main calendar (on the homepage), are updated?

To learn more about how to interact with our website as well as City staff, simply return to the homepage where you can register on the website by clicking on the "Create An Account" link at the top of the page.  Once you have established your login and password, you can then select "Notify Me" on the homepage to select which updates you want to receive.

I am at Madison Park for an event but no one is here.

There is another facility in Trotwood which is owned and managed by Montgomery County called Madison Lakes Conference Center.  This facility is located on Olive Road.  Click here to be redirected to the Parks page.  Simply click on the name of the park you are trying to locate; a new window will open with the address information.

How do I report damage, excessive trash, debris, or other issues with a City-owned park?

Simply call our Public Works Department, which maintains all of our parks.  They can be reached at 937-837-1702, or via email at

Are there any youth, senior, or family programs available?

 Yes; simply click here to access the Parks & Recreation calendar of events, where you will find many activities for all ages.

I have questions or concerns about activities in the parks.  Who do I contact?

 You may contact Charles Wheeler III, Parks & Recreation Program Coordinator, at 937-854-7228 or via email at

How can I help?

We are always looking for volunteers to help with events or to serve on our various Boards and Commissions.  If you would like to help with a specific Parks & Recreation event, contact Charles Wheeler III, Parks & Recreation Program Coordinator, at 937-854-7228 or via email at  If you are interested in serving on one of the City's Boards or Commissions, please visit our Boards & Commissions page by clicking here for more information.

Public Works FAQ (Streets, Water, Sewer, Storm Water, City Parks)

I need to make repairs or replace my driveway approach, sidewalk, curb, and/or gutter plate.  Do I need a permit?

Yes.  These repairs are the responsibility of every property owner.  To obtain a permit, click here.  For more information or for any questions, you may call the Public Works Department at 937-837-1702.  You may also contact Johnny McCluskey, Operations Manager, via email; or you may contact the Department Secretary via email.

I am constructing a new house or building.  How do I get water and sewer connected to my property?

You may contact the Public Works Department and ask to speak with Johnny McCluskey, Operations Manager, by calling 937-837-1702.  A permit is required and can be obtained by clicking here.  You may also contact Mr. McCluskey via email, or the Department Secretary via email.

I have just moved to Trotwood.  How do I start my water, sewer, and trash billing?

Simply call our Utility Billing Department at 937-854-7210 or 937-854-7226 to set up your account.  You may also visit them at the Trotwood Government Center, 2nd Floor, 3035 Olive Road, Trotwood, Ohio  45426, Monday - Friday 9:00 am - 4:00 pm.

I have bulk trash and/or large items that need to be removed from my curb.  Who do I contact?

The City of Trotwood contracts with Rumpke for all trash removal, including bulk waste.  To schedule a bulk pickup, contact Rumpke at 937-461-0004.

How do I get an address assigned to my new property, or change a current address?

Complete the application which can be found by clicking here, and submit it to the Public Works Department located at 2400 Olive Road, Trotwood, Ohio  45426.  If you have questions or need more information, you may call them at 937-837-1702.

I see storm drainage fees on my utility bill.  What are these for?

All cities in Montgomery County are required by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency to charge a fee for stormwater drainage.  For more information about this, click here.

I believe I am being overcharged for storm drainage fees.  How can I request a modification to my fee structure?

You may contact Johnny McCluskey, Public Works Operations Manager, at 937-837-1702 to discuss your fees and how the impervious area on your property affects those fees.  Applications are also available for back credits or to request a modification by clicking here.

My toilet or other drains are backed up with sewage.  Who do I call?

It is possible that there is a clog with the sanitary sewer main line in the street.  Please call the Public Works Department at 937-837-1702 to report any issues you may be having.  You may also contact Johnny McCluskey, Operations Manager, via email.

I see water coming up from under the street or sidewalk.  Who do I call?

It is possible that this is evidence of a water main break.  If you pay your water bill to the City of Trotwood and see this happening, you may call the Public Works Department at 937-837-1702 or contact Johnny McCluskey, Operations Manager, via email.  If you pay your water bill to Montgomery County, you may call them at 937-781-2680.

How do I report an issue I see on a city road/street or in a City park (such as potholes, street signs down or missing, traffic light malfunctions, dead animals in the roadway, trash/debris)?

You can contact us in several ways:  Use the Report A Concern function located on our website's homepage; your report will be sent directly to the Public Works Department.  Or, you can call the Public Works Department at 937-837-1702.  Alternatively, you may contact Johnny McCluskey, Operations Manager, via email; or you may contact the Department Secretary via email.

Why is my road not plowed or salted as quickly as other roads in Trotwood?

Our Public Works Department has eight (8) trucks that plow and salt roads.  Additionally, we have a very complex process we follow in order to clear main thoroughfares before secondary roads.  For more information on our snow removal procedures, click here.

I am a civil engineer or civil construction contractor.  How do I find out if the City has any projects out for RFP or bid?

On the homepage, click on "Business" and then on "Bids & RFPs to see any projects currently available.  Alternatively, you may call Johnny McCluskey, Operations Manager of the Public Works Department, at 937-837-1702 or contact him via email.

My organization or I would like to adopt a road or park in order to volunteer our time to help the City remove trash/debris.  How do I start?

Click here for more information on our Adopt-a-Roadway program and click here for information on our Adopt-a-Park program.

Income Taxes & Tax Department FAQ

When is my tax return due?

Typically, the IRS has a yearly deadline of April 15 for income tax returns but makes exceptions from time to time.  For 2016, your tax return is due on Monday, April 18, 2016 (must be postmarked by this date).

What is the current tax rate?

The City of Trotwood's income tax rate is 2.25%.

How can I pay my taxes?

Your income taxes can be paid online on our website by clicking here, by regular U.S. mail, or at our Income Tax office (4 Strader Drive, Trotwood, Ohio 45426).

What do I need to file my taxes?

Bring your completed Federal return, W-2s, 1099s, and any supporting documents required.

I have a rental house located in Trotwood.  Is there anything I need to do?

Yes.  All landlords are required to register with the Income Tax Department twice each year, in January and July.  The Landlord Registration Form can be found here.

What are your office hours?

Our office hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.  However, our lobby hours are Monday-Friday, 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Where do I get forms?

All the necessary income tax forms for individuals and businesses are located on our website, in our lobby at 4 Strader Drive, in the lobby at the Government Center (3035 Olive Road), and at the Dayton Metro Library-Trotwood Branch on E. Main Street in Trotwood.  If needed, we can also mail the forms to you upon request.  Individual tax forms can be found here, business tax forms are located here, and landlord tax forms can be found here.

Do I need an appointment to have the Income Tax Office staff complete my tax return?

No.  Our staff is here to assist you during our lobby hours (see hours above).  There is no charge for our assistance in completing your Trotwood City tax return.  Please keep in mind that wait times will be longer as we approach the April deadline for filing.

Can your staff complete the rest of my returns (Federal and State)?

No.  Our staff can only assist you with completing the City of Trotwood income tax return.

Is everyone required to file a City of Trotwood income tax return?

Yes.  Trotwood is a mandatory filing city.  Your income may not be taxed by everyone who is required to file.

Are you open on Saturdays?

In April, we will have extended hours.  We will also schedule a Saturday by appointment only.

How do I find my password for online filing?

If you have not previously filed your City income taxes online, you will need to register.  The system will assign a password that can be changed at your leisure.  Visit the Tax Tool page for more information.