City of Trotwood
Scope of Selection Process:
- National Testing Network (NTN) Written Exam.
- Completion of Candidate Physical Agility Test (CPAT) (Current at time of application) or Kettering Sports Medicine “Firefighter Pre-Placement Physical Abilities Test” (Current at time of application)
- Oral Interview(s)
- Voice Stress Analysis
- Drug & Alcohol Screen
- Background Investigation
- Physical & Psychological Exam
- CPAT or Kettering Sports Medicine “Firefighter Pre-Placement Physical Abilities Test” current at time of application
- Achieve a passing score of 70% on the National Testing Network written examination at time of application
- Successful completion of all phases of the selection process
- US Citizen & at least 18 years of age, and less than age 41 at first appointment
- HS Graduate or GED
- Valid Ohio Drivers’ License with less than 6 points
- Eye sight correctable to 20/20
- Possess the physical ability to perform the tasks associated with the position
- State of Ohio Firefighter II certification (at time of appointment)
- State of Ohio certification at Paramedic level (at time of appointment)
- Ability to obtain Fire Inspector certification within one (1) year of employment
Nature of Work:
- Responds to calls in various capacities such as driving a piece of equipment and operating it once it is on the fire scene, extinguishing of fires and for clean up once the fire is out, is responsible for making decisions on the fire scene in the absence of an officer, and after the fire is out is sometimes responsible for completing the paper work and determining the cause of the fire.
- Makes complete fire safety inspections for area businesses.
- In conjunction with inspectors, also does pre fire planning which allows for planning in case a fire occurs in the business.
- Inspects equipment that is used within the Department and performs minor repairs.
- Types various memoranda ranging from letters to other departments to official memoranda posted within the Department.
- Participates in fire prevention/safety programs for children ranging from pre-school age to second grade.
- Oversees the safety of personnel removing underground storage tanks
- Keep records of medical supplies that are utilized within the City.
- Maintains station appearance by cleaning and making minor repairs.
- Performs technical rescue tasks by removing individual(s) from dangerous and hazardous environments or positions. Administers emergency medical care.
- Performs a wide variety of related tasks.
Starting Salary $16.69 per hour
Candidates must take the written test through the National Testing Network (NTN). There is currently one (1) scheduled test dates to be held at Sinclair Community College administered by the Miami Valley Fire/EMS Alliance. For further information call 937-512-5103. The date scheduled is: Monday August 26th @ 9:00am.
Instructions for written testing registration
- Go to the National Testing Network website @ nationaltestingnetwork.com
- Choose the departments you are testing for
- Schedule the test date at the times listed or at another site
- Complete the questionnaire
- Take the test at the NTN Testing Center
- Obtain a passing score of at least 70% to be considered for employment
*The Candidate Physical Agility Test (CPAT) must be scheduled with MVFEA.
*The Kettering Sports Medicine “Firefighter Pre-Placement Physical Abilities Test” must be scheduled through Kettering Sport Medicine by calling (937) 395-3910.
The Fire application packet may be obtained from the Human Resources Department at 3035 Olive Rd., Trotwood, OH 45426 or downloaded online at www.trotwood.org. (HR or Fire & Rescue pages). Proof of Military/Reserve service (DD-214) must be provided at registration to receive additional credits on a passing written examination.
Applications must be received by Human Resources by 4:00 PM, September 30, 2019.
The city of Trotwood complies with Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) laws and regulations. Furthermore, the City of Trotwood considers qualified applicants for positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or military/veteran status, genetic information, or sexual orientation.
Applications may be downloaded from www.trotwood.org (HR or Fire & Rescue) pages and returned to Human Resources, 3035 Olive Road, Trotwood, OH 45426 or by filling out the form after you click on “Apply for Job” button.
Share this Post